SAMC 2011 – Day 2(Part 1):
The following morning, I arrived at the conference centre to find the room where the main sessions were to be held already swarming with people taking their seats.
The sessions begun with introductions made by DJU’s Greg Maloka who introduced the rest of the team and went through the event program.
The first session was a discussion on the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA),Business Planning and Access to funding hosted by the NYDA CEO and a NYDA representative.
The next session of the day was titled “The Perfect DJ Set”.In this session,tips and pointers were given by DJ Christos and Fresh.Below are summary points for the session and a demo video of DJ Christos:
- A good DJ doesn’t rely on playing hits to make him popular,a good DJ makes hits.
- As a DJ one needs to differentiate himself/herself by defining their own style.
- By defining your own style,people will come to know what to expect of you and that way you will build your following.This way you avoid having the “wrong” people attending your gigs.
- Hits should only be used by a DJ to keep the floor going.For the most part,the DJ should work at educating the crowd by playing not-so-familiar tunes.
- To all upcoming DJs wanting to make it big:”Start small,play for your friends and family,put yourself out there and play the small gigs,you never know who’s watching.”
Key ways to make it big in the industry:
- Start producing your own music.
- Hustle – work on getting into gigs,play as many gigs as possible.
Christos pointed out that there is a misconception by many that in order to make it big,you MUST get on radio.Some have done it the other way round.
DJ Christos’s “Perfect DJ Set” demo: